Asiri Blood Bank
Asiri Blood Transfusion Department stores and preserves blood and blood components, collected from voluntary and non-remunerated donors. In operation around the clock our blood bank uses the safest, most hygienic methods to collect and store blood. Specially trained staff prepare donors who undergo a thorough medical screening prior to donating blood.
What sets us apart
Take a look at our facilities and services. You’ll see that we really do offer you a better experience all round.
Our services and technology
- Blood is stored under stringent conditions and processed to extract blood components that meet our patients’ specific requirements.
- Asiri Blood Transfusion Department performs testing to determine the blood group of patients and to identify compatible blood products for blood transfusions, along with a battery of tests and treatments to ensure and enhance quality.
- The Department of Transfusion Medicine is equipped with Aphaeresis machines, special centrifuges and modern storage facilities to ensure a ready supply of required blood components for emergencies.
- All the blood donated at our facility is tested for the AIDS virus (Antibodies & Antigen), Malaria, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C and Syphilis.
- The Department of Transfusion Medicine is directly under the supervision of a Senior Consultant of Transfusion Medicine and it is manned by trained technicians and nursing staff.
- Blood irradiator is a specialist equipment used to irradiate blood/components in treating conditions such as cancer. This utilize high energy gamma irradiation from the source Cesium 137.
- The “Thromboelastometry ROTME Delta,” & "ROTME Platelets" are the newest addition to Asiri Blood Transfusion Department, uses one of the world’s latest Bleeding Management systems.
- Technology Thromboelastometry test provides accurate and reliable information of coagulation states of bleeding patients in a short period.
- It provides back up service to Dialysis Unit, Chemotherapy Unit, Bone Marrow Transplantation unit, Stem cell units and Emergency.
- Regular External quality Assessment done in collaboration with the materials provided by the “American Association of Bioanalysts” Brownsville Texas, USA.
- All the equipment in Transfusion Service is regularly checked for its relevant performance indicators by Metrology Division of Sri Lanka Standard Institutions.
- Asiri Blood Transfusion Service is expecting to introduce one of the most important latest technologies of “Virus inactivations of Blood Products” in near future.